Monday, November 5, 2012

Losing

On October 31my aunt died, she was the oldest of her siblings and the only one who still had many of the characteristics that reminded us of her parents. She was the matriarch of my moms side of the family. She was an incredibly intelligent woman with a passion for family history. She loved cats, travel, and quilting. But mostly she was just my aunt Kathy the woman who somehow always up sitting next to me whenever we ate which meant invariably I would be pinched because I would at some point put my elbows on the table. The woman who inspired my love of travel because she always seemed to be going to such cool places. She was a little bit like me or maybe I was a little like her, we both had lots of great ideas which in turn meant lots of unfinished products and stuff to eventually finish them with. I'm sad she's gone, but glad her death was painless and at home while surrounded by family. I'm angry at tr cancer she never had the chance to fight, and upset by the short four months we were given to learn as much from her as we could. There are some stories I will never get to hear now because she was the only one who knew them. She was a wealth of knowledge ill never get to learn. But I'm glad her death was peaceful and that she made her peace with God, and that those important to her were able to say goodbye. My child will never know his great aunt or how close she mirrored the great grandparents he will never meet, but her friends left him a great tribute in her honor. A quilt so that he will always know she loved him even before he was here.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the exact same way when my Aunt Jean died. I'm sorry :-(

    ReplyDelete