Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Noah's birth story 2/11/13

So our little bug is officially here! Three weeks and one day early weighing in at a whopping 6lb 10oz 18 1/2 in long. My labor was long and hard, lasting 24 hours from start to finish. my water broke around 4:55 am and it wasn't a trickle I gushed!! and I broke all the rules and woke up casey because NOTHING WAS PACKED!! I mean I was supposed to have approximately 3 more weeks. So, I showered he packed and we meandered into the hospital with my water still running. We hoped we could get checked and go back home, no dice though I was 3 weeks early and premature rupture of membranes I had earned my ticket to stay. I tried going somewhat natural and then using an IV pain med, eventually I wound up with an epidural. He was stationed so high my hips felt like they were on fire as they tried to widen and the med they have me to start labor cytotech caused my contractions to continually peak without really subsiding. And once I got the IV pain med they wouldn't let me stand and labor any longer. Once the epidural was in it was much better, but I worried that he would miss because I had uncontrollable shivers. Once the epidural was in things were much better although my right side was much number than my left I could finally relax or so I thought. As the nurse and hubby are turning me back and forth to get the medicine spread evenly little mans heart rate drops, and not just a little like a lot like down into the 70s a lot. The nurse was amazing though she remained quite calm upped my fluids put me on oxygen while my husband is pulling pillows out and rolling me back to the other side. His heart rate dropped two more times resulting in me getting two doses of ephedrine to speed my heart rate which in turn would speed up his. We came very close to having an emergency c section. But little man had his own ideas and plans for his grand entrance. At some point I realized I pretty much had full control of my left leg and was feeling a lot of pain around my left pelvis area. Come to find out my pump wasn't working appropriately so anesthesia was called to push mess and fix my pump. Around midnight I do believe we started making some progress to the point I could start trying to push. I pushed for an hour, but my contractions weren't frequent enough to push him where we needed. So, pitocin was started and she had me lay on my side to see if we could get little man to turn from his sunny side up position. Casey and I dozed while waiting for progress and next time she came in I was 9cm and he was down and we were ready to get this baby out!! I think I pushed for another hour and then there he was my little trouble maker complete with cord around neck and everything. He cried before they could suction him and he was the most amazing thing I had seen in 24 hours.







No comments:

Post a Comment